Friday, January 30, 2009

Goings on at Boston's MFA



One of the joys of not doing weekly shows during my 'off season' are regular visits to the MFA. Every year I purchase a $75 membership that allows me unlimited visits, a couple of tickets to their special exhibits and a 10% discount in the museum shop. They also have a great film series, lectures, art classes and even events for artsy singles. Strapped for cash? No worries, admission to the MFA is free on Wednesdays from 4pm-9:45pm!

The MFA is known worldwide for its fabulous collection of Asian art. Right now they have a couple of exhibits featuring Kyoto, Boston's sister city: Visions of Kyoto and Celebrating Kyoto. And I'm really looking forward to the upcoming Shōwa exhibit, newly acquired artworks depicting the art deco period of 1930's, a time of sweeping modernization and westernization in Japan.

2 comments:

  1. The Showa exhibit looks really interesting, I'll have to check that out. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the Japanese postcard exhibit, and look at the book I bought of it constantly. Its one of my main inspirations.

    Jaye

    ReplyDelete