Friday, April 8, 2011

White on White

While at CraftBoston last month, I was mesmerized by Kathleen Dustin's new piece "White Pollen".  The piece, with its subtle tones and hints of gold leaf peeking out of the holes, is elegant, urban and so very chic.  The use of white also brought to mind Dan Cormier's "White Necklace", a masterful study in texture from a couple of years back.  

I've been doing a lot with color blocking lately - no subtle Skinner Blends for me these days!  I've also been doing a lot with textural and satin finishes.  Over the winter, I played with color and black,  but now that the warmer weather is upon us I want to lighten things up a bit.  Inspired by Kathleen and Dan, I've started to work on a new series of window pendants, adding pops of bright color to creamy white.  

"Grids" in lime, red and blue

"Grafitti"

"Bumps" in red

While on the subject of inspiration, I'd also like to share some refreshingly candid comments by Austin Kleon on creativity, originality and living the artistic life.

1 comment:

  1. These are lovely. I can only hope that one day i can master the medium in the way you have. No skinner blends for me either. At this point I think it makes every ones work look the same. I still haven't tried your tutorial yet. I am still trying to master the fine points of the medium but I am going to try it soon. Possibly next week.

    ReplyDelete