Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Tutorial Time


I'm often asked if I teach classes on polymer clay. Teaching isn't really my thing, but I do think it's important to share information about my craft. Particularly in a relatively new medium like polymer clay. I own just about every book published about polymer and have taken workshops from polymer masters like Kathleen Dustin, SL Savarick, Louise Fisher Cozzi, Maggie Maggio, Dan Cormier and Judy Kuskin. Each class I take gives me a greater insight into the wonders of polymer and opens the way to further experimentation and inspiration.

Fortunately, the DIY revolution has given us an audience eager to try new crafts. PDF tutorials on just about every conceivable subject are available on Etsy, so I thought I'd publish one on how to make a polymer clay focal bead and pendant.


It took about 15 hours to set up, photograph and write. Each step was photographed numerous times, usually one handed or with a precariously balanced camera on a timer. Then came all the tweaking and re-writing. It seems that it was well worth the effort, though. It's selling very well on Etsy and several of my buyers already have work for sale using the technique!

No comments:

Post a Comment